Frozen bacon defrosts immediately when cooked on the stove or in the oven. Never defrost meat at room temperature. If you don’t want to cook frozen bacon directly out of the freezer, these are the safest ways to thaw it gradually:
|Roughly 18 to 24 hours
|Planning ahead for next-day meals.
|About 30 to 45 minutes for a pound
|Planning ahead a few hours.
|Approximately 4 to 6 minutes a pound
|Defrosting while short on time.
In the fridge
- Plan ahead & start the thawing process about a day before you cook it.
- Place in the refrigerator.
- Let bacon sit for approximately 18 to 24 hours (varies by bacon thickness).
- Check to make sure your bacon has fully thawed by pressing on the package. If it still feels hard, leave it for a few more hours.
If you want to eat your bacon within the next few hours, the refrigerator method isn’t fast enough. Use cold water or a microwave to thaw faster.
In cold water
- Fill a bowl with cold water enough to fully submerge the package of bacon.
- If the frozen bacon package floats, place a plate on top to weigh it down & keep it submerged.
- Put the cold water bowl in the fridge.
- Check on the bacon after 30 minutes by pressing on the package. If firm, continue thawing for 15 minutes. Bacon defrosts in roughly 30 to 45 minutes a pound in cold water.
- After bacon is defrosted, cook it right away.
Cook all of the defrosted bacon immediately. It is not safe to refreeze bacon that was thawed using the cold water or microwave methods. The internal temperature will border meat’s safe-zone by the end of the process.
In the microwave
- Get rid of any plastic packaging and place the frozen bacon on a dish.
- Cover it with a microwave-safe paper towel to absorb bacon fat.
- Use the ‘Defrost’ setting and set the time for 4 to 6 minutes (for a pound of bacon).
- Check on the bacon in one-minute increments because every microwave brand uses different power levels for its ‘Defrost’ setting.
- After bacon thaws, cook immediately.
Microwaves are the fastest way to defrost bacon. The key is the ‘Defrost’ setting. Try not to cook your bacon if your goal is to thaw it.
Incorrect use of the microwave ‘Defrost’ setting can lead to partially cooked bacon instead of defrosted bacon.
How Long Can You Freeze Bacon for?
You can freeze bacon for up to 6 months safely. Never re-freeze bacon that has already been thawed in a microwave or cold water. Knowing how to freeze bacon properly can help you avoid food poisoning. Even though the process of freezing it prolongs shelf life, consuming it sooner is best for quality. After spending months in a freezer, bacon fat starts to oxidize, resulting in a loss of flavor.
Can you Cook Frozen Bacon Without Thawing it?
Yes, it’s completely safe to cook frozen bacon directly out of the freezer on the stove, in the oven, in the microwave, and even in an air fryer.
|Works with nonstick, stainless steel, and cast iron.
|Suitable for large batches or meal prepping.
|Quickest method. Cover with a paper towel to catch grease.
|Ideal for crispiness. Excess fat drains away.