Frozen bagels defrosts easily with the right technique, ensuring safe and enjoyable eating. Don’t let your food defrost at room temperature. If you don’t want to eat frozen bagels directly out of the freezer, the following table gives you the safest ways to thaw it gradually:
|Around 12 to 24 hours
|Planning ahead 24 hours.
|About 1 to 2 hours
|Preparing ahead a few hours.
|Approximately 3 to 5 minutes
|Thawing if short on time.
How To Defrost Bagels
In The Fridge
- Plan ahead & begin the thawing process around 24 hours before you enjoy it.
- Place in the refrigerator.
- Let bagels sit for about 12 to 24 hours (varies based on bagel thickness).
- Check to make sure your bagels has fully defrosted by pressing on the package. If it still feels hard, leave it be for several more hours.
The refrigerator method isn’t fast enough if you want to eat your bagels within the next few hours. Instead, you should use cold water or a microwave to defrost quicker.
In Cold Water
- Fill a bowl with enough cold water to completely cover the bagels.
- If the frozen bagels package floats, place a heavy dish on top of it to keep it submerged.
- Place the cold water bowl in the fridge.
- Check on the bagels after approximately 30 minutes by pressing on the package. If it’s still firm, continue thawing for an additional 15 minutes. Bagels defrosts in roughly 1 to 2 hours per pound in cold water.
- After bagels is defrosted, make it right away.
Prepare all of the thawed bagels immediately. It is generally unsafe to refreeze bagels that have already been thawed with the microwave or cold water method. At the end of the process, the internal temperature will border food’s safety zone.
In The Microwave
- Remove any plastic wrapping and place the frozen bagels on a microwave-safe dish.
- Cover it with a microwave-safe paper towel to avoid a dirty microwave.
- Press the ‘Defrost’ button and set the timer for 3 to 5 minutes (for a pound of bagels).
- Check on the bagels in 1-minute increments because every microwave brand uses its own wattage system in their ‘Defrost’ setting.
- After the microwave thaws the bagels, start preparing immediately.
Microwaves are the quickest way to defrost bagels. The key is the ‘Defrost’ setting. Pay attention and avoid burning the bagels if your intention is to simply thaw it.
Improper use of the microwave’s ‘Defrost’ setting leads to partially cooked bagels, as opposed to defrosted bagels.
How Long Can You Freeze Bagels For?
You can freeze bagels for up to 3 months safely. Don’t refreeze bagels that’s already been defrosted in cold water or a microwave. Understanding how to freeze bagels correctly helps avoid food poisoning after thawing. Even though the process of freezing extends storage life, eating it within a few days is best for quality.
A lengthy freezer stay may dull a bagel’s taste and affect its texture. Yet, convenience often takes precedence over perfection.
Can You Prepare Frozen Bagels Without Thawing It?
No, it’s not advisable. Have caution when opting to bypass thawing.
Toasting directly can recover some crunch, but microwaving may yield undesirable results. Balance speed with taste when pressed for time.
|Quick and crisp, but less even heat distribution.
|Fastest but may turn soggy or unevenly heated.
|Oven or Air Fryer
|Even heating, but takes longer than toasting.
It hasn’t been confirmed whether it’s safe to cook frozen bagels from directly out of the freezer. It’s certainly not always optimal for flavor.