Frozen steak defrosts optimally under the right conditions; Never thaw foods at room temperature. If you don’t want to eat frozen steak immediately out of the freezer, these are the safest ways to defrost it based on time-horizon:
|Roughly 12 to 24 hours
|Scheduling ahead 1 day
|About 20 to 30 minutes
|Preparing ahead 1 to 2 hours
|Approximately 3 to 4 minutes
|Defrosting if short on time
How to Defrost Steak
In the Fridge
- Begin the thawing process about 24 hours before you plan to cook it.
- Place in the refrigerator.
- Let steak sit for roughly 12 to 24 hours (varies based on steak thickness).
- Check to make sure your steak has fully thawed by pressing on the package. If it still feels hard, leave it several more hours.
The refrigerator method isn’t fast enough if you want to eat your steak within the next few hours. Instead, you will need to apply cold water or a microwave to defrost quicker.
In Cold Water
- Fill a container with enough cold water to completely submerge the steak.
- If the frozen steak package floats, place a heavy plate on top to keep it submerged.
- Place the cold water container in the fridge.
- Check on the steak after about 20 minutes by pressing on the package. If it’s still firm, continue thawing for an additional 10 to 20 minutes. Steak defrosts in roughly 20 to 40 minutes per pound in cold water.
- After steak is thawed, prepare it right away.
Prepare all of the defrosted steak immediately. It is generally unsafe to refreeze steak that has been thawed using cold water or microwave methods. At the end of the process, the internal temperature will border meat’s safe eating zone.
In The Microwave
- Remove all plastic wrapping and place the frozen steak on a microwave-safe dish.
- Cover it with a microwaveable paper towel to absorb steak juices and avoid a messy microwave.
- Press the ‘Defrost’ button and set the timer for 3 to 4 minutes (for a pound of steak).
- Check on the steak in 1-minute increments because every microwave uses different power levels for the ‘Defrost’ setting.
- After the microwave thaws the steak, prepare it immediately.
Microwaves are the fastest way to defrost steak. The key is the ‘Defrost’ setting. Pay attention and avoid burning your steak if your goal is to only defrost it.
Improper application of the microwave’s ‘Defrost’ settings can lead to partially cooked steak, instead of thawed steak.
How Long Can You Freeze Steak For?
You can freeze steak for up to 12 months safely. Don’t refreeze steak that has been thawed in a microwave or cold water. Understanding how to freeze steak properly helps prevent food sickness after thawing. While freezing prolongs storage life, consuming steak within a few months ensures quality and taste.
Prolonged freezer storage may compromise the steak’s texture and flavor, prioritize timely consumption.
Can You Prepare Frozen Steak Without Thawing It?
Yes. Certain cooking methods like grilling or pan-frying can adapt to frozen steak for quick meal prep.
|Cooking Frozen Steak
|Can grill straight from frozen, may require more time.
|Adjust cooking time, but broil from frozen as needed.
|Fry with care from frozen, being mindful of cooking evenly.
|Perfect for crockpots, no thawing needed beforehand.
It is safe to cook frozen steak directly out of the freezer. However, it’s not always best for flavor or texture.